Sensitive Skin SOS
More and more of us are describing our skin type are sensitive, this can be due to our stressful lives, changes in the environment, foods we eat or simply using products which are too harsh.
Sensitive skin can be any type of skin –even oily or combination skin can be sensitive, we can define this by the skins reaction.
Sensitive skin is delicate and fine textured, sun and windburn happens easily, allergic reactions and irritation result in red blotchy skin and the skin flushes easily, changing skincare products cause the skin to break out. Sounds familiar? Read on for our sensitive skin care tips
- Preserve the PH of the skin, our skin is protected by an invisible acid mantle, any disruption to the acid mantle leads to dehydration and irritation. Our normal skin PH is slightly acidic so avoid over washing especially with harsh cleansers this leaves the skin too alkaline causing irritation. Anne Marie Borlind ZZ Cleanser is the perfect PH for sensitive skins.
- Avoid very hot water when cleansing, it can lead to broken capillaries and brings redness to the skin. Tepid water is ideal and after cleansing finish with a splash of cold water to remove product residue and close the pores.
- Be careful about the products you choose, the words “hypo allergic”, “dermatological tested “ are just words that anyone put on a label and products can still contain harsh ingredients which do sensitive skin no favours. Natural and organic products will always be a more gentle choice.
- Essential Fatty Acids(EFA) are key supplements to assist skin health, taking a good EFA Supplement like Lifeplan’s Organic Flaxseed Oil helps to moisturise the skin from inside out and are anti inflammatory helping to soothe irritated skin.
- Finally hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, we can’t stress it enough! Drinking at least 2 litres of water daily helps to rid the skin of toxins prevents dryness and plumps our skin giving a healthy glow.
We hope this helps, if you have any questions or would like advice on choosing the right products for your sensitive skin, do get in touch.